Ohio appears to be one of the next states to join the sports betting industry. In June, the Ohio Senate passed a sports betting bill.
Governor Mike DeWine indicated that all signs point to a full Ohio sports betting launch before January 1, 2023. That means major operators like BetRivers could come to the market by the end of this year, in time for a big chunk of the NFL season.
BetRivers is expected to be a solid competitor in Ohio. The sportsbook is known for its strong welcome bonus, good local promotions, and overall solid sports betting experience.
BetRivers Ohio Promo Code 2022
You can use the BetRivers Ohio bonus code: Sharp250 to get up to $250 dollars on your first deposit.
|BetRivers Bonus Code||SHARP250|
|Deposit Match||100% Deposit Match Up To $250|
|Free Bet||Deposit $50 with code: BET100 for $100 in Free Bets|
|Terms And Conditions||1x wagering requirement (best in the industry)|
|Available States||AZ, CO, IL, IN, IA, MI, PA, VA, & NJ (Under SugarHouse brand)|
|Promo Code Verified||May 2022|
BetRivers generally has a solid slate of bonuses and promotions, though the offers for existing users are somewhat lacking.
The opening bonus is BetRivers’ strongest point. New users can sign up and claim a 100% deposit match up to $250. This may seem low in comparison to other offers, but there’s a crucial point to note. BetRivers requires only 1x playthrough, meaning you’ll get the bonus after you wager the total amount of your first deposit. Other sites (e.g. DraftKings) require a playthrough of 5x or higher, making it much more difficult to get the full credit. For this reason, BetRivers is an excellent choice for new or casual bettors who don’t want to shell out huge chunks of cash upfront.
As for existing users, BetRivers has a middling selection of bonuses available;e. The sportsbook often provides solid local promotions, which will be great for Ohio bettors who like to wager on the Cavaliers, Guardians, Browns, Bengals, or other Ohio teams.
If you’re looking for strong odds boosts, parlay insurance, or other variety in your bonus offers, you may be better served elsewhere.
Overall, you can expect BetRivers to have competitive odds. Sometimes, the sportsbook will have the same lines you’ll find at competitors like DraftKings BetMGM, FanDuel, or other major books.
You may occasionally find strong odds one way or the other at BetRivers, but that’s relatively rare. Instead, consider BetRivers an important stop as you shop among the different sportsbooks for the best odds in the market.
Remember to look for region-specific promos and odds boosts to increase your potential payout as well.
If you’re a casual bettor, chances are you’ll find what you’re looking for at BetRivers. The sportsbook has wagers available for all major leagues: NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA, NCAAB, NCAAF, MLS, PGA, and many more. You can find some more obscure sports, too, like cricket, rugby, MMA, and others.
For more seasoned bettors, BetRivers may not be the play. If you’re on the hunt for alternate point spreads and massive selections of props, BetRivers may be slightly limited in its offering.
For these reasons, we recommend BetRivers for beginning bettors looking to get the lay of the land. Seasoned bettors may be better off at other sportsbooks with massive numbers of lines and markets available.
BetRivers has a wide variety of payment options. You can deposit using the following methods at BetRivers:
- Online Banking (by Trustly)
- Credit/Debit Card
- Play+ Card
That’s a strong selection that rivals most of BetRivers’ competition. It’s hard to find a better slate of deposit options at a US sportsbook. Keep in mind that we do not recommend credit/debit cards as they come with interest charges and a high chance of being declined. Instead, try PayPal or ACH, both of which have high acceptance rates.
As for withdrawals, you have the following options:
- Online Banking (by Trustly)
- Play+ Card
Again, a strong outing for BetRivers and an impressive array of withdrawal options.
Does the BetRivers app get the job done? Certainly. Is it the best app on the market? certainly not.
Keep those things in mind when you sign up for BetRivers. It’s not the fastest, sleekest, or prettiest app available, but it functions well and is easy to navigate. Essentially, it’s overall solid but doesn’t beat out most of the competition.
Finding your preferred bets is very easy at BetRivers. So is depositing, withdrawing, or finding daily promos. Again, it all works fine. It’s just not quite as quick or seamless as it could be.
You can get the BetRivers app for iOS or Android on the App Store or Google Play Store, respectively.
All-in-all, BetRivers is a very solid sportsbook. It excels in the bonus and promotions category for new users with a 100% match up to $250 and only a 1x playthrough requirement.
In other areas, BetRivers ranges from “just okay” to “relatively strong.” The app is functional, though it isn’t as sleek as competing apps. Market depth is overall solid as well, with various leagues and sports represented.
If you’re a casual sports bettor, chances are you’ll really enjoy BetRivers. It has a wide array of markets and lines, with some great local bonuses on rotation.
How To Place A Bet In Ohio
While sports betting is still not legal in Ohio, it is widely believed that they would follow similar guidelines to other states. The two options would be in-person betting or online/ mobile betting.
Online / Mobile betting: You can download various betting apps in the Google Play Store or iOS App Store. Some of the popular apps include DraftKings, FanDuel, BetRivers, and more. The different apps run promotions for new and existing members.
Ohio Sports Betting Timeline
- February 24, 2022: BetRivers secures Ohio market access.
- January 10, 2022: Governor Mike DeWine speculates Ohio sports betting could arrive before January 1, 2023 per News5 Cleveland.
- December 22, 2021: Governor Mike DeWine signs Ohio sports betting bill into law.
- December 8, 2021: Ohio lawmakers approve sports betting legislation.
- October 26, 2021: In an interview, Ohio Senate Select Committee on Gaming Chair Kirk Schuring of Canton expects a conference committee could report on amendments to the sports betting legislation, with a possible vote in the next week.
- October 7, 2021: State Sen. Kirk Schuring mentioned in an interview that Ohio sports betting could get a vote by Halloween.
- September 29, 2021: Unfortunately, Ohio sports betting won’t launch in time for the 2022 Super Bowl.
- August 18, 2021: The Ohio sports betting bill is still in the House and lawmakers are experiencing pushback on the bill from non-profits like the Ohio NAACP. The launch is still expected for spring 2022, however.
- July 1, 2021: Ohio sports betting is delayed until after Labor Day, but state leaders say the wait won’t hurt Ohio in the long run.
- June 14, 2021: With 45 amendments introduced in the Senate on the Ohio sports betting bill, it is expected that the Ohio State Senate will vote on the bill on Wednesday, June 16, and send it to the State House before the end of the week. State Sen. Kirk Schuring, chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Gaming, is hoping to have the bill passed in both chambers before the end of the month.
- June 10, 2021: The Ohio Senate Select Committee on Gaming added additional amendments has a self-imposed deadline of voting on the Ohio sports betting bill next week.
- May 6, 2021: On Thursday, May 6, 2021, the Ohio State Senate released a draft sports betting bill. State lawmakers promised the draft, and delivered on their promise, to sports bettors across Ohio who are eager to start wagering in January 2022.
- April 20, 2021: State Senator Schuring and Ohio Senate President Matt Huffman are scheduled to meet on proposed legislation. If the two can agree on the details of the proposal, it would become a new sports betting bill. It’s safe to assume that the bill would make it through the Ohio General Assembly and to the desk of Governor Mike DeWine (R). Sen. Schuring is chairman of the Select Committee on Gaming, which has heard from over 50 witnesses across eight hearings. He said he’s compiled “almost 200 bullet points” based on what those witnesses — who represent a variety of interests — think Ohio sports betting legislation should entail.
Ohio’s Professional Sports Teams
The state is divided in half when it comes to where fan loyalties stand. The Cleveland Browns and The Cincinnati Bengals make up the two NFL franchises in the state of Ohio. The two teams meet twice a season in what is known as the Battle of Ohio.
The Cincinnati Bengals have never won a playoff game, let alone a Super Bowl. The team has 14 total playoff appearances in their history.
The Cleveland Browns were established in 1946. In the pre-Super Bowl era, the team captured eight championships. Since the merger, the Super Bowl has eluded the city of Cleveland.
Ohio’s NBA Team
Being the only Ohio-based NBA team, the Cavaliers have the following of the entire state. In 2016, the Cavaliers made history as the first team ever to come back from a 3-1 series deficit in the NBA Finals. This was Ohio’s first professional championship in the four major sports since 1964, and the Cavaliers’ first championship in team history. Since the departure of LeBron James in 2018, the Cavaliers have had greater odds to win the draft lottery than another Larry O’Brien.
Ohio’s MLB Teams
The Cleveland Guardians will officially be making their team debut in the spring of 2022. Formerly known as the Indians, Cleveland has had their fair share of success in the past. In their history, Cleveland has two world series titles and six AL Pennants. The most recent AL Pennant coming in 2016. Unlike the Cavaliers, the Indians were on the wrong side of a 3-1 comeback. The Indians became the sixth team in MLB history to lose a World Series after leading 3-1.
The Cincinnati Reds have captured five World Series titles in their team’s history. The team went on a 7-year playoff hiatus starting in 2013, but they have since ended the drought in 2020. The Reds are anchored by cornerstone players Nick Castellanos and Jesse Winker. The NL Central looks to be wide open in the 2022 season, so it will be interesting to see where the Reds’ odds are to win the division.
Ohio’s College Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
THE Ohio State Buckeyes have been very successful in recent years on the gridiron. Since college football has switched over to a playoff format, the Buckeyes have qualified five times and won the inaugural championship in 2014. This season, the Buckeyes opened the season at +500 to win the championship. Another interesting line to keep an eye on is CJ Stroud’s Heisman odds. He is currently third in the clubhouse at +350.
The Buckeyes have also had success on the hardwood as well. They entered the 2021 March Madness bracket as a number two seed. In the past decade, Ohio State has eight tournament appearances. Entering the 2022 season, the Buckeyes hold the 7th best odds to win it all at +1600.
The Cincinnati Bearcats are on the verge of their best season in school history. The Bearcats currently sit number two in the AP Poll. They are currently projected to reach the College Football Playoff for the first time in school history. The Bearcats would be the first non-Power 5 team with a berth to the College Football Playoff.
The Musketeers of Xavier may surprise you by getting highlighted as one of the bigger programs in Ohio, but the men’s basketball team has put together quite the resume in their history. In the past decade, the men have punched their ticket to the dance seven times, with a Cinderella trip to the elite eight happening in 2017. That run in 2017 was the last time an Ohio team reached the Elite Eight.
BetRivers Sportsbook FAQ
Sports betting Ohio is legal, but it’s not yet live. Once the regulatory and licensing process is complete, sportsbooks will launch in the state. Sports betting is expected to launch by January 1, 2023.
No. You are not required to be a resident. If you are visiting Ohio once sports betting is legal and you meet all of the requirements, you can place a bet. Sportsbooks will confirm you’re within Ohio using geolocation before you’re allowed to place a bet in the state.
Once sports betting is live, yes. Ohio sports betting will allow for mobile betting, and you can download most sportsbook apps from the iOS App Store or Google Play store.